What the *&%! is IE 8 "compatibility mode"

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site owner
More
10 years 3 months ago #1 by sozzled
After upgrading to Microslack's Inkynet Exploder 8, I had a look at The Quoroom and ... what a mess!! IE8 has this "thing" called compatibility view which is "explained" as

... websites designed for older browsers will often look better, and problems such as out-out-place menus, images, or text will be corrected.

Well, unsurprisingly, IE 8 has made a shambles of the efforts that I've made to organise the menus, images and text on this website so that they have an aesthetic look about them and they work in a consistent manner from page to page. No-o-o-o-o ... IE8 has decided that my efforts are a bothersome nuisance and wants to redo everything à la Microslack! Excuse me! My websites don't have problems that need to be "corrected" as the guys from Redmond, Washington seem to think. Unngghh!!!:angry:

This may be the last straw for me as far as Microsoft is concerned and it might push me onto the Mozilla Thunderbird bandwagon which, from all reports, is pretty darn good.

For the rest of you who are browsing the The Quoroom's pages with IE8 and you're wondering why things occasionally look odd, use the "compatibility view" feature.

Cheers ;-)

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #2 by SweetNess
Replied by SweetNess on topic What the *&%! is IE 8 "compatibility mode"
My computer wanted to install IE8 tonight but after reading your rant I'm a bit sceptical. Is it really too hard to use? Am I gonna have to use this 'compatability view' on every website I go to? Is it gonna slow down my computer?

*•.¸¸ζẃεε†Йεςς¸¸.•*

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 2 months ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic What the *&%! is IE 8 "compatibility mode"
Unfortunately, for those of us still blessed (or cursed) with Windows XP you still need Internet Explorer (a version of it, anyway) in order to visit the Microsoft update website ( update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/ ) . This is because Microsoft uses a "feature", an ActiveX component, which can only operate with Internet Explorer. Neat trick, eh? You want our operating system, you have to use our browser.

Now, I can't swear to what I've just written on a stack of bibles, because I just tried going to the Microsoft update website in Mozilla Firefox and something worked. So I don't know what's going on ... :S

Insofar as whether IE8 is hard to use (or especially slow), I wouldn't say it's any more difficult to use than any other piece of Microsoft bloatware. I can say, from my own experience (and my father's continuing complaining about it), that IE8 takes longer to load webpages than IE7.

Do you have to run "compatibility view" with every website? I don't know the answer to that question, either, but a quick check around the 'net shows that other website developers have discovered what I've discovered and they've placed advisory information on their site front pages informing visitors of the possibility they should switch to compatibility view in order to see the site as they'd intended it to be displayed. :-o

You might as well upgrade to IE8 (that's my advice). I would also seriously consider installing Mozilla Firefox. As well as installing Firefox, you should also look at the website for FF add-ons. I've installed the following:
  • myFireFox theme - makes FF look like IE
  • Shockwave Flash for Mozilla Firefox
  • Firebug - you won't need this but it's a great tool for web designers
. Firefox involves a short learning-curve; there are some differences in terminology - "reload" instead of "refresh"; "bookmarks" instead of "favorites" (sic) - but in other respects it's a lighter, faster, easier-to-use (in my opinion) product.

Why not look at a comparison of web browsers ? B)

And because, somehow, I had no difficulty in using the Microsoft update website, with its proprietary ActiveX componentry, maybe I won't even bother with IE in future after all? :laugh:

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic What the *&%! is IE 8 "compatibility mode"
Y'know, it's curious that until three weeks ago I'd never seriously taken on-board Firefox and (with Firebug) now I can't imagine what I did without it! But, even though Firefox 3.0.11 was good - heaps faster than Internet Explorer 8 - I've just downloaded and installed Firefox 3.5.1 and it's lightning quick! That's not just an idle boast at www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/performance/ .

Internet Explorer is, more and more, looking like an outclassed also-ran these days. That's just my opinion, of course. ;-)

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds