What a mess

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site owner
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #1 by sozzled
What a mess was created by sozzled
I wish someone had told me sooner ...

After listening to my father's complaints about how slow Internet Explorer 8 was, I decided to do something about it. I also thought it would be a good idea to use him as a guinea-pig to see how The Quoroom looked through Mozilla Firefox. First of all, I'm very impressed with Firefox. I think I'll stay with it for my own purposes (see my rant about IE8's "compatibility view" from a couple of days ago).

However, when I first looked at The Quoroom's home page, it was a total disaster: Instead of

this is what I saw instead

:cry:

In the words of the immortal Dorrie Evans : "Why wasn't I told?"

BTW, if you haven't seen the difference between IE8 and IE8's "compatibility view", go to our [url=faq]FAQ[/url] page.

This is what the page looks like without "compatibility view":

and this is what it looks like with it turned on:

I feel so much better now that I have that off my chest (even though it took me a couple of hours this morning to fix several websites that I thought I had no layout problems with!). :whistle:

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic What a mess
As if my woes, trying to cater to the dozens of different varieties of web browsers in use, memsahib sent me a picture of how The Quoroom appears where she works. She works in a large Commonwealth department where our tax dollars are instrumental in ensuring that our fedal public servants are using technology that's only one increment greater than the abacus ... Internet Explorer 6, would you believe?! :-o

As far as I'm concerned, that's just too bad. IE6 breaks The Quoroom and that's just tough *sigh*

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Attachments:

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 3 months ago #3 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic What a mess
I haven't been looking really closely, but things appear fine from where I'm viewing, Sozz

More
10 years 3 months ago #4 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic What a mess
Yeah things look alright here, tho the updates have changed the buttons.. but its all good : )

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 3 months ago #5 by sozzled
*sigh* maybe I'm just being a perfectionist? :blush:

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 3 months ago #6 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic What a mess
I think you have it in one go, Sozz. Relax, pal, and get yourself better.

Cheers,
George.

More
10 years 2 months ago #7 by SweetNess
Replied by SweetNess on topic What a mess
I'm using IE7 and I get the same crammed-together jumbled look that Mem's got from her IE6 work computer. I never thought anything of it. Always figured it was just me seeing the crowded look. :laugh:

*•.¸¸ζẃεε†Йεςς¸¸.•*

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 2 months ago #8 by sozzled
Actually, the problem wasn't simply a case of things being "crammed together", it was a case of whole areas of the website being thrown out of place or resized in impossible-to-predict ways. In memsahib's case, the left-side menu was repositioned below other things - you had to scroll down to see it. Anyway, I've decided to worry less about these problems now that I've found how wonderfully easy it is to use Mozilla Firefox.

I admit that, because 90% of users in Australia still use IE on a daily basis, I will still have to cater for the IE masses. Over time, though, as more people get completely fed-up with Microsoft, there will be a greater involvement of non-IE users (e.g. Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are only two of dozens of alternatives).

The only requirement I still have for IE is to obtain Microsoft updates - I use Windows XP Professional - because the website uses an ActiveX component (ActiveX is only supported by IE). With Vista you don't even need to use a browser! I suspect that will also be the case with Windows 7 when it's finally released later this year. Whether or not I get Windows 7 remains to be seen! :laugh:

More
10 years 2 months ago #9 by Annie
Replied by Annie on topic What a mess
I use firefox..we got vista..omfg..............it was so slow I wanted to chuck it out the window.....I didnt have an xp disc.cry............ firefox and vista work perfectly.

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 2 months ago #10 by sozzled
So you're saying that Windows Vista was so slow you wanted to chuck it out. Is that right?

I'm trying to motivate myself enough to upgrade my PC to Windows Vista but somehow I can't find the energy (or the time). I'll probably wait until later this year when this PC that I'm using is due for retirement and I'll buy a new one. Although this is off-topic to the discussion, I've been talking with a few people about Windows 7 and from all reports it's "magic". Of course Windows 7 won't be released until late this year or early next.

I'd like to get my parents to use Vista, not because it's easier for them; it's easier for me! :laugh: There's less chance of them doing something unintentional that causes an error. However, neither of their PCs has the "grunt" to drive Vista. My father is, however, very pleased with Firefox.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds