In The News

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #21 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic In The News
Sozz, mate - they're politicians !! This is what they DO :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #22 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic In The News
At least we know how much it costs to buy political favours ... if you happen to have a spare $1bn lying around! ;-)

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #23 by ConcertForGeorgeNut

More
10 years 1 month ago #24 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic In The News
Not that unbelievable. Now if it were a 13 year old girl becoming a father........

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #25 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Sharia law deal done between Pakistan and the Taliban

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7891955.stm

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #26 by sozzled
I understand that any system that provides some peace and "certainty"is preferable to no other system that safeguards people's rights. However, one wonders whether sending a part of Pakistan back to the middle ages and denying half its population the basic human right to an education is a step in the right direction.

I'm sure we could all have a lot of fun captioning the following image (the original caption was "Residents in Mingora, Swat, distribute sweets in celebration of the deal")

"OK, guys, we got the girls' chockies. Next we've gotta do somethin' about those bloody Tupperware parties!"

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

• Tushy
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #27 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic In The News
Nation reels as floods follow fires
Hope everyones ok up there?

• Tushy
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #28 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic In The News
Publicans' anger at drinks limit
Aaaaaaaaaah stop your whinging
About time these companies copped it
As for Nanny state - people would get pulled up for drunk and disorderly, what happened to that?

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #29 by sozzled
Hang on a sec', Tushy. I read the article (written by we-need-tougher-penalties-but-we're-outraged-when-they're-usedThe Daily Telegraph) quite differently. What the "Tele" seemed to implying was how the new licensing laws should be interpreted and whether, in all cases, it should be an offence for pubs to serve more than four drinks to a single paying customer after midnight. Before midnight, you can buy as many drinks as you like whenever you visit the bar. After midnight, don't even think about buying more than four drinks. That's the gist of the article.

What I think the article was making noise about was to suggest that these new licensing laws are being policed in a ridiculous manner and there needs to be a bit of latitude exercised instead of applying penalties holus-bolus every time someone steps up to the bar to buy a round of drinks for their mates. As I read the article, these laws are going to destroy the great Aussie tradition known as "the shout". Shock-horror-gasp-outrage is, I'm sure, what The Daily Telegraph is trying to stir up among its readers. Tomorrow's headlines will scream "Bureaucracy knackers Australian cultural heritage!"

That's what the article is about. It's not about pubs failing to exercise commonsense or the responsible serving of alcohol to its customers. The article is about lampooning the anal retentiveness of the licensing squad. Well, The Daily Telegraph can't have it both ways: one the one hand saying that pubs are irresponsible and are the ones causing mass drunkenness so we need to tighten the laws while on the other hand saying that now the law has been changed it's all wrong. This is what makes me so cross about the double-standards of tabloid newspapers ... or, should I say, the tabloid press that doesn't really stand for anything at all!

More
10 years 1 month ago #30 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic In The News
Awww, now come on Sozz. Fair dinkum. The tabloid press knows exactly what it's about - making money and hoodwinking the public into going along with the agenda of the papers' owners. sheesh. I thought you'd a knowed that one!

;-)
Mem

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds