Quoroom Forum (15 Dec 2008)

The Quoroom forum is open for business.

We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Problems - Are they really all "out there" ???

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • ConcertForGeorgeNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 week ago #1047 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Problems - Are they really all "out there" ??? was created by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Hi. I'm gonna come back to this later, but just wanted to put it up as a topic before I started to think about other things and forgot about it.

In one of my work roles, I've recently been involved in a three-day State Conference, and yesterday I was at a one-day information session. At both events, participants spoke long and loud about the problems created for them by the outside world. The problems were always "out there".

Yet, at both events, I witnessed a situation where not a single session began at the advertised time, and, even when sessions began late - yesterday the opening session commenced more than an hour later than programmed - people were still wondering in from wherever they'd been, seemingly without a care in the world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #1050 by SweetNess
Replied by SweetNess on topic Problems - Are they really all "out there" ???
The 'poor me, I'm a victim' excuse. How sad for these ppl that they go thru life with blinders on. I've met ppl in wheel chairs thru no fault of their own that have a better outlook and attitude.

The outside world causes everybody problems but I think that if we're all honest with ourselves we realize that the problems usually arise because we often refuse to adjust or we've been the real cause some where down the track. How many times have we heard ppl moaning about their financial situation because their mortgages are getting out of control? It's common knowledge that interest rates fluctuate and it's very poor financial planning to take on a mortgage that cannot be sustained over time by a persons income.

The point of it is that we all have problems that are caused by the outside world. Most of us sit down and figure out a way to fix them. It's those that dig themselves into a rut and then pass the blame to everything and everybody else for what's gone wrong in their lives that are usually the real cause of their problems. To ppl like that I say get down off the cross, sunshine, somebody needs the wood.

*•.¸¸ζẃεε†Йεςς¸¸.•*

More
15 years 1 week ago #1073 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Problems - Are they really all "out there" ???
Hear, hear, Ness. I agree one hundred percent. I keep wondering if it's time to start some sort of campaign - the Take responsibility for your own actions campaign. People seem to want "them" (eg politicians, police, the courts) to fix things, and to blame "them" for everything that goes wrong. It's a shame that these people don't look at their own lack of foresight and planning.

You hear people say "I'm so poor" as they are buying junk food, top of the line furniture, a second car, lots of alcohol and cigarettes. Well, doh. Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for them at all. Particularly when friends have pointed out both gently and not so gently that they have options other than spending every cent they earn and more. They should go to places like the Philippines, then they'd begin to develop a concept of the state of real poverty.

There are some people who face genuine hardship, and for them I do have sympathy.

As for George's conference, it sounds like a shambolic farce. Especially as it was probably organised using a lot of taxpayer funding. Grrrr.

Mem

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 week ago #1075 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Problems - Are they really all "out there" ???
Mem' wrote:

"...I keep wondering if it's time to start some sort of campaign - the Take responsibility for your own actions campaign...."

You start it, I'm in it B)

More
15 years 1 week ago - 15 years 1 week ago #1076 by Memsahib
I have now officially registered the Take responsibility for your own actions campaign. The rules are as follows:

1. Members of the Take responsibility for your own actions campaign are responsible for developing the rules.
2. Member-defined rules only apply to the members who define them and to no-one else.
3. All the rules must be followed from start to end.
4. Failure to follow any rule will result in automatic membership of the Someone made me do it or the It's all their fault campaigns.
5. Members of The Devil made me do it campaign are automatically banned for life.
6. See rule #1.

Mem :whistle:
Last edit: 15 years 1 week ago by Memsahib.

More
15 years 1 week ago #1077 by stormyfeathers
Replied by stormyfeathers on topic Problems - Are they really all "out there" ???
I agree, people seem to always pass the buck where problems are concerned. If one cannot manage their financial circumstances, its the banks fault, or their employers. Also, its not just the average joe that has problems being responsible for their own actions, what about medical practitioners who are rarely ever on time when people have booked appointments and patients are waiting over an hour?

In this fast paced world we live in, there will always be ups and downs to our circumstances and not much will change there, but what people can do is at least be honest to themselves and take some blame squarely on ones own shoulders.

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 week ago #1079 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Problems - Are they really all "out there" ???
OK, thanks everybody for the contributions to this discussion. I was driven to start the thread based on my recent experiences at some work-related meetings. People at the meetings complained about being overworked, understaffed, under-resourced, under-appreciated - basically about there not being enough hours in the work day to do the things they were required to do.

But, as I say, at the three-day State Conference a few weeks ago, and again at the one-day info session this week, not a single event began at the programmed time. To me, it seems an obvious observation that, were some of the complainers to be more vigilant in their time management practices, perhaps some of their problems would be solved.

My dilemma is this. I'm not an employee of the organisation. I'm an independent contractor, engaged by one branch of the organisation. I'm also a person outside of the group of people within the Australian population that the organisation represents (for want of a better term, I'm an "outsider")

As an outsider, I've offered to provide some feedback on these events to some senior people in the organisation. I've yet to receive a reply to my offer.

How do I proceed ?? Any thoughts ??

More
15 years 1 week ago #1080 by sozzled
Tell it like you saw it, George, and write your comments. It might also be worthwhile to send a copy of your observations to the head of the organisation/government minister responsible for the shemozzle. :up: You have every right, as a "stakeholder" (taxpayer) to express your opinion.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

More
15 years 1 week ago - 15 years 1 week ago #1082 by Memsahib
While I partly agree with Sozz, I think George is in a difficult situation. Being employed as a contractor and speaking out loudly may not be compatible. George could possibly find that his services are suddenly not required. It's sad that this happens, but it does, and is particularly difficult in rural areas. Sometimes the head on approach can be counter productive. We can sometimes have the most influence working cooperatively on the inside rather than bashing our heads against the brick wall from the outside and being viewed as the enemy.

I guess it's up to you, George. However, there may be other ways around it, depending on the organisation. For example, it may be possible to actually get on the organisation's management committee, unless there are certain restrictions. Another way around could be to volunteer to help assist and provide a good example of how to do things. Of course, you would probably end up doing most of the work yourself in this case. Still, it's possible that people just don't know how to organise things efficiently and would appreciate assistance and advice. Does the organisation have policies and procedures? It should if it's government funded. But it may not have, and offering to help the organisation develop new ones, or improve existing ones, may be worthwile.

Perhaps a "lateral thinking cap" may be handy here, and if all else fails, the organisation's members can still be encouraged to join the Take responsibility for your own actions campaign.

Cheers
Mem
Last edit: 15 years 1 week ago by Memsahib.

More
15 years 6 days ago #1098 by Tushy
I agree with everything here about the taking responsibilty, people need to take control of their own lives..

Regarding Georges question -- I suppose I gotta ask if you see anything valid in what they are saying that they are understaffed?
Do you do similar work to what they do?
You dont have to answer these questions - just food for thought...

If I had to write any feedback, I would be writing about myself and thats all.
If i saw anything that the company could do in fixing anything, I would write that too - and thats about it...

If they want anymore information, they will call you in...

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds