× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Over-the-top correctness?

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site owner
More
10 years 4 months ago #1 by sozzled
Over-the-top correctness? was created by sozzled
George posted an item this morning in What's your pet peeve . Basically, the item referred to an article published in CathNews which, presumably, is an internet-based source of Catholic religious news and opinions. Good. I believe that all faiths should be able to report items of interest to the faithful as well as to express an opinion. I only have a problem with extremists, no matter whether they're religious extremists or political extremists ... and often one tends to masquerade as the other.

George's point, which I agree with, was this: ConcertForGeorgeNut wrote:

The intrusion of political correctness into everyday life. I'm not a religious person, but, because of instances like this, I feel offended for those who are.

In our increasingly, so-called pluralistic, secular socieity, non religion is starting to become anti-religion. Funeral parlours have chapels - they don't differentiate between one brand of faith (or absence of faith) from another - so as to provide an area for mourners and others to pay their respects. The living can remember the dead with a christian ceremony, or a jewish one, or a muslim, a buddhist or hindu one or they can do it in a school hall for all I care. Wherever it's done, funerals are normally conducted in a solemn place where the living can give the deceased a fitting tribute to their time on this planet. Funeral parlours normally provide places that are absent of religious paraphernalia, such as crosses, menorahs, crescent moons, ying-yangs or pentograms, bibles, torahs or qu'rans.

It's not a long distance to jump to hospital chapels, places that are set aside for the living to contemplate, meditate or pray for the restoration to health or peaceful release of their loved ones from pain and suffering. The fact that a non-denominational public hospital like Sydney's Royal North Shore should decide to "de-religify" their chapel is on the one hand taking religious "tolerance" to absurd lengths in a predominantly christian country like Australia but, on the other hand, I can see why CathNews has a right to report the story - I guess as an illustration of to what extent things can go if unchallenged.

On an equal footing, I can see why Muslims and Jews might feel offended if they're visiting a hospital and they're confronted by Christian symbols. Just as I can imagine that Buddhists and Hindus might also feel marginalised. Perhaps it is appropriate for public hospitals to make followers of non-Christian faiths more welcome?

If, however, patients are receiving treatment at Sydney's Adventist Hospital or the Mater then I would say that those hospitals are entirely within their rights to have a Christian chapel fully equipped with Bibles, prayer-books and crucifixes if that is their wish. And what's wrong with the Wolper Jewish Hospital using the "tree of life" device? Hmmm ...

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #2 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Over-the-top correctness?
While I'm quite comfortable having non denominational chapels in hospitals etc, and strongly believe that we should not discriminate on the basis of religion, gender, gender preference etc, etc, I also think that having all chapels in public places being "non religious" as discussed by Sozz, is going a bit far. Australia is historically a Christian country (well, since the first fleet, anyway), and remains predominantly Christian. I don't see any reason why we should not have Christian chapels available in public places.

If the argument were to be taken to the extreme, we could end up with cathedrals, mosques, temples or synagogues being remodelled to become non-religious in identity so that people of other religions would not be offended.

We are getting too politically correct - to the point where we are losing the meaning in what we say (especially in the government policy arena) - and where we are losing our identity.

We are Australian, English is our main language, we are basically a Christian nation (whether you are a Christian or not), our nation has its origins in Anglo-Celtic culture, and we generally are accepting of those who come from different cultures. People who come to live in Australia usually come knowing that, and I think the majority want to live with us and become part of our culture.

Let's not lose ourselves and our identity by being aftraid to stand, head held high and say "I'm an Aussie, and I'm bloody proud of it"!

Mem
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Memsahib.

More
10 years 4 months ago #3 by Annie
Replied by Annie on topic Over-the-top correctness?
My understanding of Royal North Shore, was, it was a hospital decision.

Sunrise interviewed someone, sorry the name escapes me, but he was a muslim, and he said he didnt have a problem with it. ( being a Christian chapel) Muslims have a separate room at the hospital to pray. This is due to the fact they have their prayer mats and the existing chapel was not big enough to lay their mats down. He was concerned that Muslims would be blamed when in fact they didnt have any clue or any part in this happenning.

I agree with Mem, that it is getting over the top and yes we are in Australia and "most" people respect others cultures, ceremonies ect. The people making the decisions are the problem. Some decisions are downright ridiculous.

More
10 years 4 months ago #4 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Over-the-top correctness?
I agree that we are predominately Christian, and people that come to Australia would know that.

I also think that in a hospital environment, depending on the hospital/founders etc, its up to them what they decide to do regarding a Chapel.
Its not a place that people gather together weekly.

If its a religious based hospital then........thats a different story..

As for going around changing all Churches not to offend, I think thats definitely losing the plot...

I heard that too Annie that the Muslims werent fussed that it was a Christian Chapel.. they had their own place set up in the hospital..

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds