× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Matthew Johns

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 11 months ago #1 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Matthew Johns was created by ConcertForGeorgeNut
The story has taken a turn over the last 24 hours. A person, reported as an ex-workmate to the female at the centre of this story, says the woman was anything but distressed about the incident - in fact, she bragged about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Matthew Johns
Memsahib and I have talked about poor Mr Johns (and Mrs Johns, too, for that matter). Our opinion is that Matty Johns should be allowed to get on with his life and shouldn't have to re-live the whole episode again.

Whether or not you like Mathew Johns (or his brother) as people - and let's keep that issue separate from their sporting abilities - and, speaking personally, I couldn't care less about Mr Johns as a person (but I happen to believe that he might have a bit more intelligence than his "Reg Regan" persona), I think he's already paid the price of his philandering and he should be left alone. If he had done something wrong seven years ago - well, of course he did the wrong thing, I mean in a legal sense - the police did not lay charges and he was left to face a far more difficult punishment dished out by his missus. If, seven years ago, the so-called victim of Mr Johns' testosterone-fizzed frolicking had been traumatised, wracked by guilt, stigmatised by society as a trollop, whose reputation had been dragged through the mud and who couldn't be trusted to keep her legs together for more than 5 minutes ... well, why has this post-traumatic stress suddenly manifested itself now ... seven years later?

I feel sorry for Mathew Johns. I think he's been treated appallingly badly by his employer, the Nine TV network (but I think that all TV networks treat their employees pretty badly, too). I think the real demons in this case are not the woman (who's now "come forward) nor Mathew Johns, nor the Nine Network ... I think that the NRL had a serious case to answer for the years it has tolerated - some might even say, encouraged - this kind of neanderthal off-field behaviour of its football players; I also think that the media is complicit in giving this case prominence, too.

Where is the public interest served by dredging up this filth? In what way does re-telling this story help us? Does it help the "victim"? Does it help Mathew and Trish Johns and their marriage? Will it result in the NRL actually doing something? Will anything change? I can't believe this story has any point to it, apart from delivering A Current Affair's highest rating for the year ... or to sell a few more copies of The Daily Telegraph?

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

More
9 years 11 months ago #3 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Matthew Johns
yeah I saw that George - brags for 3 days then calls the cops...
Who knows what was going on in her mind at that time........

Well its people like that that wreck it for the honest ones

I still recon they did the right thing (channel 9) with the information they had - they got bombarded with emails to get him off..
The public talks...

I also hope the NRL have learnt something from all this, they recon they have.........

I dont really care about any of the players of any of the games - I only like the game/s itself - as I have said before..

More
9 years 11 months ago #4 by SweetNess
Replied by SweetNess on topic Matthew Johns
I had a nice conversation with one of the dudes from Armaguard today during our cash transfer. He used to work security for the NRL players and he has no sympathy for any of them. He spent a few years watching them behave like dogs off the leash and thinks each and every one of them deserve what they get.

Maybe so but whose fault is it really? Who is it that takes these young men when they're teenagers, stuffs them full of cash, elevates them to the status of sports gods, lets their egos inflate, then sends them out into the world to wreak havoc in the community?

In this particular case I don't believe Matty Johns is guilty of a criminal offense and it's high time the media let the matter drop. That's not to say that he hasn't done worse things and not go caught but those are not the matters before the court of public opinion. Brett Stewart is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault and yet he's still playing. Johns cheated on his wife in a rather unorthodox manner seven years ago and he's been thrown to the wolves. I think they've lost the plot. :huh:

I'm just sick to death with all of it. The NRL is fast becoming as chock full of perverts, druggies, and thugs as the American NFL. It's time the NRL started mentoring these boys and imposing a moral code. You screw up, you're out for life. I'm sure there are plenty of other youngsters out there who're more than capable of filling their shoes and who'd adhere to any strict conduct standards to retain their position in the league.

But maybe that's just me.

*•.¸¸ζẃεε†Йεςς¸¸.•*

More
9 years 11 months ago #5 by Tushy
I agree Ness with your armaguard friend -- they have this lifestyle coz of us, the bad ones wreck it for the good ones -- no sympathy here
If they played for the local footy club would they have these perks....?

I heard the other day that some of the high flyers are the problem - they just say -- nup I am not doing it - well excuse me, if you were working for a company and you said that, what would happen? Out the bloody door - and thats exactly what they should do with them..

Nup no time for their bullshit........

More
9 years 11 months ago #6 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Matthew Johns
Hear, hear. I'm sick of the media beat up and hype. Let's face it, it's the $$ that the media, the NRL and the players are chasing. Because of the media hype, young guys raised in a neanderthal atmosphere that seems to accompany this game, think they're gods and can get away with anything. It's a combination of factors. That's why I stopped watching league many years ago. It's just not healthy - it's a case of never mind the ball, let's just get on with the fights, sex and alcohol/drugs.

However, I think the Matty Johns issue is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a lot more to it.

For starters, it's not only the high fliers who indulge in unacceptable behaviour. I have seen some of it first hand on a number of occasions. One example is when my kids were young and playing soccer, and the parents sometimes were totally disgusting. That's a great example to set your kids, and not a culture I wanted my kids to experience. That's a culture that seems to be more common around all codes of football - aggression, behaviour that is generally considered socially unacceptable, and drugs and alcohol. Another example occurred with some young footie players who were in a family group at a ski lodge I used to own. They thought it was hilarious to urinate on some hot sauna rocks. We thought we had a fire on our hands when the smell wafted through the place. Most of the adults there were pretty disgusted, but the father of one of the kids (the father was a footy coach) thought it was harmless fun. He certainly didn't like the comparison I made to him of someone urinating on the carpet in his house, perhaps because he may have had to admit that his son's behaviour was unacceptable!

As I alluded in the first paragraph, to me it's more of a cultural thing that existed in most codes of football even before the huge amounts of money and the media became seriously involved, but has been exacerbated since because of the money and the media. It's about power and control, and is very unhealthy. It's also extremely sexist and totally denigrating to women. Believe me, most of these guys (I'm not saying all of them) do not have any respect for women as equal members of society. In their eyes, women are just there to be used. Some women even seem to agree with them, judging by their behaviour.

As for Matthew Johns, even though I think he's paid the price, and I've had my suspicions about this young lady since day one (why raise it so many years later, how much did she get paid for the story, why boast to workmates?), I suspect Mr Johns is unfairly bearing the brunt of the most recent disgust at so many of the other players' behaviour. While, as a so-called "elder" and therefore role model for other players he should be setting an even better example of appropriate behaviour in society, the behaviour for which he is being pilloried occurred long before he became prominent as an "elder". It doesn't make his behaviour right, but he did suffer for it at the time, and has therefore already been punished.

However, there are huge double standards happening here. Young Andrew Stewart is still playing even though he's actually been charged by police, yet Matty is stood down - nope, it's not fair or just.

I think it's time that all people involved in any sport have a hard think about what is and isn't acceptable. I don't always agree with zero tolerance, but maybe it's time all sports for all age groups each have a code of practice, and zero tolerance for breaches.

I also think Matthew Johns should be reinstated, Andrew Stewart stood down until after his trial (and then maybe sacked if convicted), and anyone else who behaves badly treated likewise.

But perhaps my opinions are the exception, although I doubt it.

Cheers
Mems

More
9 years 11 months ago #7 by Tushy
We find out now she is married and living overseas - her parents have just found out for the first time about all this -- hmm makes you wonder why she would go through all this.....?
I am not sticking up for her - just curious lol - what would lead her to come forward...
money from the media
they found her and asked her to talk??

The papers get up my goat that now all of a sudden they try to turn this around that they look like saints - oh pleaseee - I dont care the circumstances behind it all, the rugby league have to learn something from all this and so does the public

This should now be called the Sharks scandal, give Matt Johns a break - we dont know the whole story - only the people participating know the truth

As for hotel owner - stop sucking up the rugby leagues arse - dont worry you will get your money and customers... what would you know of the event???

Your son sees him as a hero - well your more of a fool for making your kids think like that

its a game and they are normal people.......

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #8 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Matthew Johns
I'll be quite blunt about this:
  • I'm not interested in the "details" of the incident that occurred 7 years ago;
  • I'm not interested in the woman involved in the incident, what her motivation was then or her motivation today; I'm not saying she deserved what she got then, nor deserves any special consideration today, but I'm just not interested in her role in this mess. I don't care if she's staying at the Hilton or living in a tribal hut in Timbuktu. I don't care if she got paid $100,000 for her story or if she did it for nothing. She's just not worth it, to me.
  • I'm not interested in Matthew Johns, nor what he did seven years ago or what he does today; I think he's acted with a lot more honour than many other men in his situation and that's as far as I'm prepared to go in defending him
  • I'm not interested in Trish Johns, how she's coping with the public spotlight suddenly being thrust on her and her family; I think she's got many qualitites to be admired as a woman who's dealing with this mess and trying her hardest to cope with the additional, unwelcome pressures on her marriage
  • I don't care whether Matthew Johns takes all the blame himself, or whether there's a cast of thousands who should join him to be burnt at the stake
  • I don't care if the incident took place or didn't take place or who might be telling the truth;
  • I don't think what Matthew Johns did one night seven years ago, on his own or in the company of others with a woman who may or may not have been a willing participant and that was investigated by the police and found that there was no case to answer, should be a matter of public interest
I am disgusted by Mr Johns' treatment by the media who reported the story and put it "out there" so that Mr and Mrs Johns should have to face the court of public opinion. I am disgusted by the feckless NRL - in this case, but the same goes for cricket, aussie rules, rugby union and other team sports - who have, for years, at best turned a blind eye to this kind of behaviour and at worst have fostered it. I am disgusted by the feckless TV networks who capitulated to the hypocritical howls of opprobium and who drowned Mr Johns instead of offering him a lifeline. I am disgusted, and I condemn, those who think this whole matter is simply a case of belated justice.

Where's the justice? Can someone please explain that to me? And, for goodness sakes, don't try to explain it by quoting who's telling the truth, or putting every sordid little detail under the microscope. I've already said I'm not interested in the so-called facts. When you have cases like these it's impossible to separate the truth from hearsay, it's impossible to quantify the damage done in human terms, the damage done to relationships then and now. All we can do, in this case, is to accept that these things happen, to dig deep within ourselves to find the compassion to understand how and why they do, to forgive the wrongs and, if there are thing wrong within our institutions, to correct the conducive causes.

At this time, I haven't seen any soul-searching by the media, the TV networks or the NRL. Instead, they're running for cover, like a pack of startled cockroaches, and trying to place all the burden on Mr and Mrs Johns ... and I'm fairly sick of it.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
9 years 11 months ago #9 by SweetNess
Replied by SweetNess on topic Matthew Johns
Don't hold back, Sozz. Tell us how you really feel. :laugh:

But I agree with you and I always have. Every time I hear the media mention the 'Sharks Shame', I can feel myself getting angry. I'm no fan of the NRL and as for Matty Johns, I can take him or leave him, but this whole story is being blown too far out of proportion.

Sports stars are like rock stars. They will attract groupies. Groupies who'll do anything for the feeling of importance cuz they 'got with' one of these stars. Groupies who just want the bragging rights that they got to hang with the famous. This is nothing new. Frankly, I really wasn't all that surprised when the story first came out. I had no idea it was gonna elevate to an all out scandal.

I am getting really ticked off with the media for shaking this story like an angry Doberman with a rabbit. None of this story is any of our business. There was no crime so nothing about it is a matter of public record. There is no greater good being served by crucifying Johns or any of the other players who may have been involved.

*•.¸¸ζẃεε†Йεςς¸¸.•*

More
9 years 11 months ago #10 by Tushy
Sozz -- the media will always bring out a celebrities dirty laundry - be it if it happened yday or 20yrs ago
He isnt the first and he wont be the last..

The footy show recons good has come out of this - its brought in a code..

Time to create page: 0.339 seconds