× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Climate Change and the Emissions Trading Scheme

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #21 by sozzled
A few nights ago memsahib and I were watching the TV news. There was a piece about some anti-logging activist group prattling about the rights of old-growth forests. I don't really remember what they were protesting because I became distracted by how they presented themselves before the media cameras. We saw one bloke who had a hairstyle that made Willie Nelson look gorgeous by comparison. There was the obligatory middle-aged femme, propelled from a 1960s time-warp, with seven different shades of hair dye and a crumpled ankle-length skirt to match. Then there was the young family, sporting an assortment of body-piercings and tattoos (and that's just to describe the two-year old toddler sitting on Dad's shoulders!). The other assorted crew in the background looked like a bunch of refugees from Ashton's circus.

I said to memsahib, "Perhaps these people would have more credibility and more popular appeal if they dressed more 'conservatively'. How do you reckon people might react to a group of protestors in the forest, dressed in business suits?"

Compare the first two photos below with the last one and ask yourself, which makes the best impact?

Something else I've noticed too: there's a new symbol in use at the moment. People will, of course, have no difficulty recognising the peace/Greenpeace symbol - :ND: - but I wonder if anyone understands the significance of 350? According to the website www.350.org/ , 350 parts per million of CO2 in the atmosphere is the safe level for humanity; according to the same website, the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere is above 350 ppm. Now, whenever you see this symbol, you'll know.

BTW, did you know that the "peace symbol" was originally designed for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmamemnt and that the symbol comprises the semaphores for N and D superimposed on one another? I discovered this interesting piece of trivia today at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_symbols#The_peace_sign

Peace out, man

sozz :ND:

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #22 by Tushy
Was interesting watching Joe Hockey on the 7.30 Report the other night - I dont mind him.

As he said, all ETS's will cost money, so bleeping out this 'Labour Tax' is rubbish.

Kerry O'Brien also brought up, that what the Liberals were thinking of bringing in will be costing us more

So we will wait and see what they come up with, wont we?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds