× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Australian of the Year 2009

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 7 months ago #1 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Australian of the Year 2009 was created by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Award this year went to Pat Dodson, national indigenous community identity. I've never really followed the Australian of the Year awards in the past, but the award to Mr Dodson got me thinking a bit.

What are the criteria to be considered for the award ? I don't know that answer to that question, I'm just asking it. I'm aware from the telly that one of the other nominees was Glen McGrath, for his work with the Jane McGrath Foundation, and, without knowing any better, I'm just a bit concerned that this year's award will be seen by some as a "token" award, made on the basis of political correctness more than anything else.

Not saying that Mr Dodson should not have won the award, or that Mr McGrath or any of the other candidates should've, coz I just don't know what "qualifications" are required of one to be considered for the award.

What do you reckon ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 7 months ago #2 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Australian of the Year 2009
:unsure:

Buggar !!! I knew this would happen. I didn't check before I made the first post, and I got the wrong Dodson. It was Mick, and not Pat Dodson, who was yesterday presented with the Australian of the Year Award. My apologies.

More
10 years 7 months ago #3 by suthshiregal
Replied by suthshiregal on topic Australian of the Year 2009
I agree with you, I watched the awards on tv yesterday, I thought Mr.Dobson would win.

There are four catergories:

The young australian of the year
The senior australian of the year
The hero australian of the year...GlenMcGrath was the nsw nominee
and The australian of the year

take care

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Australian of the Year 2009
Over the course of the Australian of the Year awards (since 1960) there have been a number of people who've received the award that many of us thought were controversial at the time or whose achievements had not been generally appreciated were it not for the awards. Who the heck were Peter Hollingsworth (1991), Sir John Crawford (1981), Sir Murray Tyrell (1977) and Sir John Cornforth (1975) and how did what they do advance our pride in our collective achievements as a nation?

Some names are never likely to be forgotten, like Maj. Gen. Alan Stretton (1975), Lt. Gen Peter Cosgrove (2001) or Dawn Fraser (1964).

I don't think that the Australian of the Year awards are a token gesture. Is it wrong to put Paul Hogan (1985) and John Farnham (1987) in the same class as Fred Hollows (1990) or Edward 'Weary' Dunlop (1976)?

As for nominating indigenous Australians, look at the following list of winners: Lionel Rose (1968), Evonne Goolagong Cawley (1971), Galarrwuy Yunupingu (1978), Senator Neville Bonner (1979), Lois O'Donoghue (1984), Mandawuy Yunupingu (1992), Cathy Freeman (1998) and now Mick Dodson - brother of outspoken Aboriginal activist and leader, Pat.

I think there will always be questions asked about the selection process, the criteria used to judge people who have risen to the acme of their chosen professions, and whether it's merely a case of "it's about time" that they're recognised for their achievements by receiving the Australian of the Year gong. Good on 'em.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 7 months ago #5 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Australian of the Year 2009
G'day everyone

It's worth visiting the Australian of the year web site at www.australianoftheyear.org.au/pages/index.asp . But you probably already knew that!

Cheers
Mem

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds