× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Knowledge Versus Faith

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 7 months ago #1 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Knowledge Versus Faith was created by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Earlier today, I wrote the following in my Space:

"......Thought for the day:

The only things you can truly "know" are those things that you personally experience - George....."

To which Sozz replied:

"... and for everything else there's faith....."

Knowledge versus Faith - where do you stand ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #2 by dragonflymum
Replied by dragonflymum on topic Knowledge Versus Faith
What an interesting subject, what is knowledge, we have seen proven time after time that particularly history is based largely on perspective, which corner you stood in when the "history" was happing, so is not knowledge often just someones interpretation of a truth? Then again faith, is it true belief, or just wishful thinking for the sake of comfort? Good luck with this, I will think some more and drop back.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Knowledge Versus Faith
It's really tough to know, or to be able to claim that one knows with certainty, the truth of certain things in this world that one may or may not have personal experience of. For example, we all know that the consequences of nuclear war are too terrible to contemplate ... and yet not one of us has lived through the blast of an atomic bomb. We all know that that if, say, we attacked North Korea that the leaders of that country wouldn't take things lying down and that they'd launch reprisal attacks of their own (if they had the capacity to do so) ... and a helluva lot of people would suffer because of it. But, can we say, with absolute certainty, that there is a God or that there isn't? These are questions of faith; you either believe or you don't.

Isn't it interesting that if you tell someone that there are a hundred billion stars in the heavens, they'll believe you ... but if you erect a sign near a wall that says "Wet Paint" they'll have to touch it to see for themselves!

I don't need to have had personal experience of touching a hot iron to know that I'll burn myself. If I see an iron I'd be very cautious how I handle it.

Insofar as people not believing that history won't repeat itself - even if they've no personal experience of historical events - there's wisdom in the sayng that those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it. I know this to be true but only because I have faith in the truth of that saying as I have faith in the truth of many other sayings. They're more than mere folklore: they become truths because there is a basis of fact to them ... and we should be guided by the wisdom of others who may have had personal experience in matters that we haven't.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4 by SweetNess
Replied by SweetNess on topic Knowledge Versus Faith
When it comes to matters of faith I have two quotes that are favourites of mine:

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen."

"Absence of proof is not proof of absence."

I think those speak for themselves.

*•.¸¸ζẃεε†Йεςς¸¸.•*

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 7 months ago #5 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Knowledge Versus Faith
Some things, like that there are "100 billion stars in the sky", it is impossible for any of us to truly "know", but it doesn't hurt to call something like this "knowledge", because it really doesn't matter if there are 100 billion stars in the sky.

For other things (e.g. the presence of an Almighty), it does matter that they are considered by some to be knowledge, because decisions (e.g. access to family planning services) are made on the basis of that "knowledge".

More from me later.

More
10 years 7 months ago #6 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Knowledge Versus Faith
"You gotta have faith, faith, faith" - George Michael : )

Excellent quotes Ness

Knowledge and Faith for me : )

If you dont have 'Faith' -- you do nothing...

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds