× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Bushfires vs The Greenies

• Misty724
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #1 by Misty724
Bushfires vs The Greenies was created by Misty724
Hi Everyone

Hope you are all coping with whatever mad weather you are getting this summer! Mother Nature certainly knows how to diversify.

The floods in the North and the West ... I cannot imagine having to deal with those floods. I know many of the people up there are underwater for the second or third time. Those of us to the South have endured the worst bushfires since European Settlement. Whilst I know we have to do all we can to preserve our Planet and I do whatever I can to reuse and recycle but, and I hope I don't stir up an wasps nest on this, all these rules and regulations about not being allowed to clear areas and remove trees that will become lethal weapons when the fires come. Unfortunately come they do and as the World has witnessed the horror that befell Victoria two weeks ago, they come with ferocious and deathly consequences.

I know that there probably wasn't very much anyone could have done to stop the firestorm that occurred, but after listening to the stories of many of the survivors I have to wonder why decisions about what we can clear, what we can cut down and what we can burn off are made, for the most part, by bureaucrats tucked up in their nice comfy office blocks. Many of them have no idea what it is like to live in these areas where those who farm animals, grow crops etc Now because a few "insane" individuals with a fetish to light fires have done their worst and wiped out the lives of so many innocent men, women and children, because our laws did nothing to help those who live in these danger areas make their environment safe to live in.

So to all the Greenies, whilst I agree with some of your issues, there is no way I can understand why the preservation of those who live in our rural areas is an issue you choose to prevent them doing. So get off youre green soapboxes and start helping with the solution that will hopefully prevent another disaster like Black Saturday.

Misty724

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 7 months ago #2 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Bushfires vs The Greenies
I dunno enough about this to want to say who is right and wrong, but my feeling is that the issue is more political than scientific. Without knowing any better, I just believe The Greens are an easy target for people looking to point the blame somewhere.

More
10 years 7 months ago #3 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Bushfires vs The Greenies
Ths Royal Commision will bring alot of answers and I recon those Councils are gonna get their bums walloped... who knows if its only a small part but its a part..
Yep this what you can and cant cut really gets up my nose with the Yarra Ranges Council - they are beyond and over the top...

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds