Quoroom Forum (15 Dec 2008)

The Quoroom forum is open for business.

We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Opinions

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • ConcertForGeorgeNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 month ago #749 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Opinions was created by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Earlier today, I added the following entry to our Share Your Favourite Quotes thread:

“We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers.”
Kurt Cobain

To which Sozz replied:

Hmmm ... so no-one should express an opinion because none of us has all the answers ...
... of course, that's just my opinion ...

So, what about opinions ? What's their value ? What's their legitimacy ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #750 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Opinions
Well, George, we could really have some fun with this one - in my opinion :lol: .

For one, consider all opinions, but don't necessarily take them as gospel. I wouldn't place too much credence in the opinion, for example, of a drug crazed successfully suicidal rock star such as Kurt Cobain.

However, there are others whose opinions I often value. They are not necessarily the rich, famous or acknowledged sages of the world. I even sometimes value the opinion of GWH!

Sometimes, I think, we tend to value the opinion of those whose proclamations tend to fit with our values or our preconceived opinions or judgements. In fact, that should read "usually" rather than "sometimes". For example, I certainly do not value the opinion of most religious extremists - whatever religion they espouse. This does not mean I don't value the opinion of some religious people, but it tends to be more the opinion of those whose values are similar to mine, whether the opinions be related to religious or other topics.

This doesn't mean we don't listen to opinions that differ greatly from ours. We often do. But how often do we really take them on board? Some people do listen and consider the opinions of others, and this can lead to life changing events.

That's just a beginning of this topic - we could have some really interesting discussions here. And, as I have been told I'm opinionated on the odd occasion, no doubt you'll be hearing more from me on this topic :whistle: .

Cheers
Mem

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 month ago #760 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Opinions
Here's some more quotes on the topic of opinions that I like:

Opinions.....are just like ass holes. Everybody's got one - anon

In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts - E. B. White

For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise -
Benjamin Franklin

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 month ago #765 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Opinions
I started off this thread yesterday with the following quote, which I found instantly appealing:

“We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers.”

Kurt Cobain

Have had some time to think more about this, and accept that the quote, although still most appealing, just can't fly in the real world.

Opinions are important. And, I believe that every opinion of every person is based on something (ie, people do not form opinions without some basis for doing so - e.g. life experience).

We've got a situation going in my town at the moment, where there's a proposal to build three new public housing multi-storey residential facilities close to the CBD. Not surprisingly, strong (anti-development) opinions have arisen over the proposal.

People have opinions about public housing complexes, that have been shaped by what they see, hear, read, experience. At the same time, there are people (like me) who have no opinion one way or the other about the issue. And, I'm sure that there will be people to stand up for the development proposal, and with positive opinions about public housing, based on their own experiences, which shape their opinions.

I've only picked the local public housing proposal issue, because I think it's a good one in trying to explain where I'm coming from on the overall discussion topic of opinions.

More
15 years 1 month ago #766 by stormyfeathers
Replied by stormyfeathers on topic Opinions
Opinions get the thought proccesses going. With opinions we can mind map and find or explore solutions to problems. How boring the world would be if nobody ever expressed an opinion lol.

More
15 years 1 month ago #771 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Opinions
Well said Stormy. I agree with you completely.

It's so much fun to participate in the discussions around people's opinions here in the Quoroom. That's part of the joy of living in a democratic, relatively tolerant society such as ours. People are able to speak freely and thrash things out, such as issues over the location of public housing.

What I find interesting is that it is often the ones with the noisiest voices or the most power who win the debates in the political world; not necessarily those with reason on their side. I wonder if that's the result of opinion (that is being fed by prejudice) among those with the right to make the decisions? Or is it greed or the attempt to gain power?

This is such a philosophical debate, but one that allows us to have a laugh too. Thanks for raising it George.

Cheers
Mem

More
15 years 1 month ago #782 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Opinions
Good discussion : )

Everyone has opinions and its good to listen to them all -- we all might learn something if we keep our minds open lol : ) might not necessarily agree but good to understand where another person is coming from...

well said to all above : )

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds