Quoroom Forum (15 Dec 2008)

The Quoroom forum is open for business.

We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Sport, booze, testosterone

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site owner
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #944 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
The 7.30 Report transcript .

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 month ago #960 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
Thanks, Sozz. Interesting to read about the South Sydney approach to the issue - and started by the players themselves. Something for the players in other clubs to follow, perhaps ?

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 month ago #962 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
This is yet another issue that prompts us, as a society, to ask what it is that we stand for.

Does our sport mean that much to us that we're willing to risk the future of our kids ?

Difficult issue, but a really important one to resolve.

More
15 years 1 month ago #972 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
It is an interesting question, George. And related to other topics we have discussed (eg child abuse, law and order).

We have seen our society evolve radically during the past century. When one considers the ultra conservatism (and frequent hypocrisy) of society prior to WWI, the libertarian flapper era of the early 1920s, the conservatism re-emerging during and after the Depression which lasted into the early 1960s. This cycle has continued to today as our scientific knowledge has evolved, as social experiments have come and gone (eg Communism and collectivism) and as each generation has put its stamp on our evolving culture.

Is it right, or is it wrong? Is it neither right or wrong? I think the latter. This doesn't mean that I approve of booze swilling yobbos setting an inappropriate example for our youngsters. But it is a symptom of changing mores.

From the opinions I have seen and heard expressed in the media, on web sites such as this and amongst people around me, I think we are moving back towards conservatism. This move seems to happen (my observation) whenever we go through tough economic times such as these. Hence, the public reaction to yobbo behaviour - and I am aware of my value judgement.

But we also should consider our own past contributions. Think about the saying "If you remember the 60s, you weren't there". Those of us who are Baby Boomers seem to have done a total about face and become extremely conservative. We didn't set a particularly inspiring example for youth, although we did spark some degree of social revolution as evinced in women's rights, antidiscrimination, etc. Was this good or bad? Again, these are value judgements to think about. Is the world better or worse for the not-so-inspiring examples set by some of us who were flower children? I, personally, think the world is, in many ways, better. We set some bad examples, but we also opened people's eyes to inequity and opened minds to listening to people's opinions instead of just following blindly.

This now leads back to our booze swilling yobbo "sportsmen". They may not be setting a good example, but the debate that has arisen because of this is likely to be more influential than their behaviour ever will be. Let's face it, with the vast majority of people saying a resounding "NO" to such behaviour, some sort of positive influence must get through to youngsters in some way. In addition, the fact that we can openly debate such issues and influence behaviour is, to me, one of the greatest strengths of our society.

This contribution is a little "over the place", but I hope it makes sense as my thoughts are still evolving.

Cheers
Mem

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 1 month ago #976 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
As I've already mentioned, the new footy (rugby league) season kicked off last Friday. Was a time in the past when I couldn't wait for my footy each weekend. Last Friday, I watched the first 10 to 15 minutes of the opening game of the season, and turned the tube off. Why is that ?

The main factor, for me, is that the I feel people now playing the game have no connection to me. They don't represent me. In the days when I loved the game, the players, I felt, were people just like me (but with just a bit more footy talent :laugh: ). They held jobs outside of footy, so they played the game for the love of the game.

Then, full-time professional footy came along in Australia. The players began to be paid amounts that took away any connection to the ordinary fellow in the street.

So it is with the boozy, testosterone-fuelled behaviour from our footy "stars". So it is with the "win at all costs" approach to the game. Everything in the game has become about winning (no matter what the cost). They are no longer one of "us".It's not me. It's not the ordinary man in the street.

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site owner
More
15 years 1 month ago #977 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
There's a very sobering message in what you've written, George, and one that should be referred to the NRL: people are turning off league in large numbers because the players and the way that the game is played no longer represent the values or the ideals of the fans. I've turned my back on rugby league in recent years - not because of any decision I consciously made - because I lost interest.

I lost interest because of the contuing scandals surrounding the players off the field and the insufferable arrogance of the clubs, the NRL and the players' association in doing nothing about them.

I lost interest because the game is now more technical; once upon a time it was seen as a sport for television but now it's merely a product of television. The last match I watched live was 12 months ago and, I remember, we came home disappointed. Four out of five referee's decisions had been referred to the video referee. Not one single try was awarded on-the-spot. It wasn't just that the game was singularly unspectacular, there was no "flow" to it.

I've long been a critic of rugby league scrums ... I mean, why do they even bother with them?

But these criticisms of mine - the uselessness of on-field referees and the pointlessness of scrums - are nothing in comparison to what you've hammered home, George, in your few words. I congratulate and completely sympathise with how you feel.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

More
15 years 1 month ago #979 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
Yes George, you're right. While I was looking at the larger picture when making my comments yesterday, the comments you have made are completely accurate for the microcosm of League.

As a teenager growing up in Sydne, I loved league, used to watch it on tele and went by public transport to matches that were far from home. Then it went through a phase of "Never mind the game, get on with the fight", and I began to lose interest. I don't mind a little on-field biffo, but at that stage it was ridiculous. I think many people began to get a bit sick of things at that point. It has now turned around to the point where television runs league.

Yes George, in the interest of making huge amounts of money, the powers that run the game have forgotten that it is the players and the public who watch them play who are important.

You've said it perfectly.

Cheers
Mem

More
15 years 1 month ago #1026 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Sport, booze, testosterone

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #1220 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
Regarding your question George -- I agree that the decline in the Sport has become all money -- but I do still love the game/s
Cant stand the politics...
They gotta sort out their crap..

I used to go weekly as a kid and my kids do the same thing now
Nothing beats that atmosphere..

Alotta good memories here regarding Sports : )

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #1223 by stormyfeathers
Replied by stormyfeathers on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
I believe the decline in sports began when the TABS started allowing games to be gambled on. It is all about the money, which is a big shame.

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds