× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Sport, booze, testosterone

More
10 years 4 months ago #31 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
I wouldnt say the TAB Stormy

This is getting off track from the convo but like when the VFL(Victorian football league) here changed over to become the AFL (Australian football league) - alot werent happy except for the money hungry clubs with big supporters - and as time moved, the AFL arrogance just showed in how they treated the public. They didnt care if we were happy or not with mergers.
Was all just money, winning and making themselves bigger..

We have become like the overseas games now - players just moving around to the highest bidder..

Our kids have grown up with this league, not the other one, but then again with my sons team Carlton -- its always been shonky lolol ... who said that ; )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site owner
More
10 years 4 months ago #32 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
I can't disagree with the points you've raised regarding the decline about the "spirit of the game" - as one way of paraphrasing what George wrote. Whether the "game" has declined in popularity because it's become an andvertising medium for alcohol manufacturers or whatever other product happens to get behind it, whether it's become less "virtuous" because it's just another opportunity to squander one's hard-earned salary by gambling on the outcome (and, let's face it, sports have been gambled on - legally and illegally - ever since Moses told the Pharoah "you wanna make a bet I can't outrun you across the Red Sea?"), the fact is that sport is a business.

What we, the sports-loving public need to do, is to tell these "suits" that it's bad business to foster a culture that excuses reckless, irresponsible and disorderly conduct. I think the message is getting through but there's already been a lot of damage done to the reputation of the "game" (as George has written) which may be irreparable.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #33 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
Andrew Symonds

The bottle or the game?

The bottle........

Glad to hear he was sent home......
They should do that to all of them..
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Tushy.

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #34 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Sport, booze, testosterone
Yeah, not too much anybody can say in defence of Symonds now. He's had a few of these episodes, and hasn't learnt. The administrators of cricket have got to send out a message that the game of cricket is bigger than any one individual, no matter how talented that individual may be.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds