× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site owner
More
10 years 6 months ago #1 by sozzled
Tushy posted earlier this item earlier today, announcing that she would be getting on her soapbox about the subject. The reference to the news item is www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,25180195-2...html?from=public_rss .

It's probably an important enough issue (we had a discussion about this subject nearly 12 months ago) for it to be given it's own topic.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #2 by stormyfeathers
Replied by stormyfeathers on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
I am sure I have not been impressed with the warning labels and proposed laws etc.. in previous discussions.

Doesn't obesity also cause many health related problems also? As with the cigarette package warnings, this will just be another waste of money as people are becoming blaise about warnings - there are warnings on so much already.

I still smoke, and even take my cigarrettes out of the packet & place them in a nice gold coated receptacle so I do not have to look at a burst artery or damaged lung on the packet. It is a habit and only I can decide when to quit.

Our culture is the cause of binge drinking and drinking to excess. Warning labels will not stop the associated problems until our culture realises that there is a problem and enough is enough. Perhaps education not labels will do the trick. This could begin in primary school..

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
Very good points, stormy, and it's difficult to disagree with your reasoning. I completely understand and sympathise with your approach to the smoking warning labels and your choice to circumvent the messages that the "confronting" images on the packaging are designed for. However, isn't this entirely what the health warnings were intended to do in the first place: to confront people, their attitudes and to challenge the culture of acceptance about what had hitherto been considered normal?

You are quite right to say that changing one's approach to purchasing and consuming products that may have harmful health effects is entirely an individual choice! However, I would submit to you (in relation to the smoking issue at any rate), that the shock-tactics advertising on tobacco product packaging has made a significant difference to changing people's attitudes and behaviours. Combined with the ban on advertising, the requirement for more rigorous ID checking at point-of-sale and the heavy government excise, many people have made up their minds to make an honest go of giving up smoking or, at least, cutting down their consumption. I believe that it's primarily because of governments that there's been a difference. There was never any practical industry self-regulation.

Using this line of reasoning, I think it's also fair to argue that the alcohol product manufacturers won't do anything to reduce the problem of binge drinking in this country. What else is there do be done? How can the culture be changed except, perhaps, by confronting and combatting it with a hard-hitting, in-your-face educational strategy ... not just for future generations but for those who are already caught up in the culture?

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 6 months ago #4 by SweetNess
Replied by SweetNess on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
Exactly right. Drinking, gambling, smoking, over eating....these are all more than just habits. These are complex behaviours that cannot be banished with mere 'labels'.

Every where you go these days there are warning labels. There are so many that I have to wonder if we really see them any more? If we do see them, do we really stop and think about them?

Education and a good hard dose of reality is the only way you can change a bad habit. If a person sees and hears enough convincing evidence and gets tired of living with the consequences of their foolish actions, then they'll quit. If we want to get any where with the binge drinking, that's where we need to concentrate our energies. Parents need to take more responsibility with educating their kids about the dangers of excessive drinking and schools can do the same. We need to involve ourselves a little more in their lives instead of just letting them go off into the night and never asking, "Where are you going? Who are you gonna be with? What time will you be back? What's your plans? If there's an emergency, how can I get in touch with you?" These are all questions my parents asked of me when I was a teenager. I hardly ever drank.

Yeah, go ahead and stick your warning labels on alcohol. Just like nutritional info on food, yucky pics on the cigarette packets, and Gamblers Anonymous stickers on the pokies, it'll all just be another series of signs that the addicted and the young and foolish will ignore.

*•.¸¸ζẃεε†Йεςς¸¸.•*

More
10 years 6 months ago #5 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
Thanks Sozz : )

Well I feel very strongly about this one, as if you didnt know lol

Alcohol is a drug just like all those others on the shelf and needs a warning -- I really dont know HOW its lasted this long without it -- toooo many people have gone down the gurgler with this one and its not just them - their families have all been affected by it...

for one - over 18yo has to be written on there - where is it??

Yep the parents should be training their kids - I can see how thats working well - its some of the parents that we gotta get to, but its not just that -- all comes back to the attitude in society which has to change..
Yes education is important at schools but we need it reinforced out here too

This positive approach to getting drunk has to go...
Its good to see they have brought in the advertising, now we just need the warnings and it will be done
It all works together

Smoking has gone downhill since they slapped those warnings on them - its brought up alot of conversations around the table which is all good........
I have seen people drop off smoking one by one as they are feeling more and more out of the picture

It will bring a negative approach to binge drinking and thats what needs to happen with alcohol...

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #6 by sozzled
A completely new twist to the plot has added by Family First [Victorian] Senator Steve Fielding who has said will vote down the alcopops taxation legislation .

I don't know why the Liberals and Nationals are opposed to this legislation but, I would say, there's probably millions of dollars of alcohol manufacturers' donations to those political parties at stake here - just keep that thought in your minds when you next go to the polls. As for Senator Fielding, he's a man of principle! :whistle:

The situation is this: unless the Government's Customs Tariff Amendment (2009 Measures No. 1) Bill 2009 and Excise Tariff Amendment (2009 Measures No. 1) Bill 2009 pass through the Senate within the next couple of hours, over $300 million that the Government has already collected from alcohol manufacturers and importers will have to be handed back! Apart from the embarrassment that causes the Government (as if I'd be worried about it), this is a great windfall for those in the liquor industry; however, you can bet that not one red cent will be refunded to anyone who bought ready-mixed alcohol beverages at higher prices for the past 11 months! :(

I don't understand Senator Fielding at the best of times - a man who has the creative genius of a car assembly robot. I don't understand why he has decided that this issue, and withholding his support for legislation aimed, in part, at discouraging binge-drinking, particularly among young people (that will also net $1.6 bn in future revenue), is so important that we should also rush into banning alcohol advertising at sporting events. Do these things go hand-in-hand? Has the good senator completely lost his mind? Maybe he's been basking in the glow of his reflection for too long.

I'm not saying that consideration shouldn't be given to banning alcohol advertising at sporting events. I believe that it's the obligation of responsible government to address the binge drinking problem because the non-interventionist approach hasn't curbed it. I agree with those who think that the Government hasn't gone far enough to get tough on binge drinking. But these things take time. It requires consultation with many players: those in education, marketing, the alcohol industry, sports governing bodies and community services to name just a few. To demand that the Government promises to ban advertising alcohol at sporting events is not only naïve, it's pure madness. Let's leave out the millions of dollars involved in the loss of alcohol-related sponsorship to the sports, the loss of millions of dollars advertising revenue to television, radio and print media, how the hell could you reasonably expect instant compliance? And, further, how can Senator Fielding demonstrate (as merely one of 226 people elected to the Australian Parliament) that increasing the tariff on alcopops will be ineffective unless it's accompanied by a ban on alcohol advertising?

For goodness sake, Senator Fielding, wake up and get your head around 21st century politics and stop your egotistical grandstanding. It's taken decades to reach the point where governments in this country have acknowledged the need to raise taxes on alcohol products not for the sake of balancing their budgets but because it's better for everyone's health! Objecting to the Government's taxation measures doesn't make you a celebrity nor does it make you a force to be reckoned with! Have another read of the Government's explanatory memorandum and tell us why the excise measures are so totally flawed that they have to be abandoned altogether!

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #7 by sozzled
An update on the outcome of the debate in the Senate. I watched the debate on webcast (not very interesting, I must point out) and it's not an inspiring sight to watch our democracy in action. Basically, the whole issue fizzed out. At 12:45 pm, debate on the Bills was interrupted because of Senate Standing Orders and the Liberal/National party refusing to allow any further extension of time. There may be further debate or the matter might become a lost cause as Opposition Senators and Senator Fielding posture and demand political concession after political concession.

Resumption of the debate will occur late this afternoon. The whole thing is rather disappointing ... and the waste of a couple of hours. Unnggh!

Of passing interest, the Government has made the following concessions to Senator Fielding: to remove the so-called "self-regulation by the advertising industy in relation to alcohol products - this will be done by putting health professionals and government appointees on the body that's responsible for alcohol advertising - and warning labels on alcohol products. The Government has refused to be drawn on the issue of when it would be disposed to ban alcohol advertising in sports - Senator Fielding wants a Gov't commitment that it will happen in 3 years. You win some, you lose some, I reckon.

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 6 months ago #8 by sozzled
The Senate is now voting on the legislation (17:37) and it's anyone's guess whether it will be passed ... but it's looking extemely doubtful unless there are politicians actually have consciences.

• sozzled
  • Site owner
More
10 years 6 months ago #9 by sozzled
I'm rather disgusted actually by the result of the Senate vote. The Senate voted on the matter ... twice! :-o On the first occasion the result was 32-31 in favour. You beaut', I thought to myself. :huh: But no, there was to be a further act in the drama. :side: Senator Scullion, Deputy Leader of the Nationals wasn't in the chamber during the first vote. He was conveniently having a "conference", as he put it, in a stairwell and also didn't have his pager on him so he was unaware that the Senate was voting on the issue. The Opposition, therefore, asked that the vote be "recommitted in order to reflect the true will of the Senate." And so, fifteen minutes ago, the Senate divided on the question and the Bills were negatived, 31-32. :down:

These two Bills represent a revenue package of $1.6 bn, not to mention the better health outcomes for young Australians by making the price of ready-to-drink mixers less accessible ... and the warning labels ... and the other concessions that the minor parties and independents won from the Government.

I really do want to know why the Liberal and National Parties oppose the legislation. :mad:

More
10 years 6 months ago #10 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
Well Sozz, what did I tell you -- the govt and the alcohol companies are in co hoots lol

yep I am disappointed and disgusted too...

The alcopops were a good idea really even tho it wouldnt have been something I woulda thought of as a way to curb the drinking, but does make it harder for kids to drink - they had to mix their own now if they wanted it cheaper.. which for them is a hard task being the 'on the tap' - 'I want it now' type generation..........

Looks like the opposition would rather give back the $1.6bn and more -- back to the alcohol companies than help the next generation...
says alot doesnt it??

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds