× We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings

More
10 years 5 months ago #21 by stormyfeathers
Replied by stormyfeathers on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
George, I have made a couple of comments on that subject in the 'Black & white australia" thread if you would like to read them.:) .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #22 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
Industry to phase out alcohol TV ads

Unbelievable -- whos the government around here?

The distilling industry promised Senator Fielding it would introduce a 12-month voluntary ban on TV advertising if the alcopops bill didn't pass Parliament.

They had too much to lose - they did get scared

Mongrels..
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Tushy.

More
10 years 5 months ago #23 by Tushy
Wasnt sure where to put this - but I agree
What are they suppose to do to get it through thick peoples heads??

'Stupid' drink-drivers aren't getting it

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #24 by Tushy
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Tushy.

More
10 years 5 months ago #25 by Annie
Replied by Annie on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
If people want to drink they will. Regardless of advertising ect.......... I was a victim of alcohol related violence. "Get it thru their heads?" It affects the brain and nothing gets thru their heads....... some people shouldnt drink....so we do a test and weed out the susceptible? (sp) ? develop a drug that stops people drinking? if only..............

sorry but I have lived this and no you cant control people. You can make it hard....but if pushed they will mix their own drinks................ they will do whatever....similar to druggies........dont push it into a criminal sphere.

• sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site owner
More
10 years 5 months ago #26 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
I know that the Liberals, Nationals, and Family First senator were playing politics with the alcopops tax - you would have to be living blindfolded in a pitch-black, sound-proofed room not to be able to see that - but I wonder if the Government isn't also playing politics by re-introducing the same legislation? Or maybe it's different legislation? If it's the same legislation and it's defeated a second time around, the Government would be able to trigger a double-dissolution of Parliament.

Dissolving Parliament over booze ... hmmm ... conjures a very interesting picture. :whistle:

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

More
10 years 5 months ago #27 by Tushy
Hi Annie : ) good seeing you on board

We had a discussion in the other room, not sure if you were there or not before MSN closed its doors? .. regarding alcohol and the attitude towards it in this country about getting drunk, and how its accepted as just a part of society..

I think the stand they took with smoking should be taken the same with alcohol.
Some are for and some are against..

Sozz I think the health industry is the one pushing this time, and I do think its a different one ... but we will see...

More
10 years 5 months ago #28 by Annie
Replied by Annie on topic Alcohol could get smoker-style warnings
Hi Tushy, I agree...I always said "slabs " should have similar warnings............. I just dont think it will make a blind bit of difference.

More
10 years 5 months ago #29 by Tushy
Ohhh yessss it will Annie : )

If this passes and ends up the same as the smoking, you watch it go downhill fast, just as it did with smoking..
People will look at it all so differently as they do now with smoking..

Its not banning it... just telling people the truth
Read it and weep

I think all this negative coverage with drinking has made an impact already, but slap a few warnings on things and really make it BLACK and watch people change their attitudes..

Good on Rudd for bringing it up again......100 points to him...

More
10 years 5 months ago #30 by Tushy
Ohhhhhhhh also meant to say - sorry to hear that you suffered at the hands of alcohol Annie - I have heard numerous stories and its been enough for me to argue black and blue to change things..

and they need to be changed...

You hit the nail on the head when you said -- they are no different to druggies......

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds