Quoroom Forum (15 Dec 2008)

The Quoroom forum is open for business.

We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

The Big Oil Spill in the USA

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • ConcertForGeorgeNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
13 years 10 months ago #1926 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
The Big Oil Spill in the USA was created by ConcertForGeorgeNut
What's your thoughts on this. I was reading yesterday that it might not be until August until the oil leak is completely stopped.

I think it's really terrible for the people and environment directly affected by the spill, and I hope BP and whoever else was involved is made to pay big time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #1927 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic The Big Oil Spill in the USA
I have to confess that, when I watch TV reports about the terrible environmental catastrophe that is known as "the big oil spill", I look at it and think how terrible it is and then my mind switches off as I listen to the clap-trap talked about by the mining companies in Australia who are prophesying Australia's economic disintegration into oblivion. Somehow I can't reconcile myself to the situation that you can believe that business (without tight government regulation/control) can be trusted to get anything right. And so, while I sit in front of the boob tube at day's end, with my body feeling numbed by the exertions of my day's toil, my mind engages on such issues only briefly before I basically switch off.

I don't normally react like this to such stories of environmental disaster. I don't know who was responsible (but we could point the finger of accusation in a dozen directions and we'd probably be partly right) and I don't know who should be made to pay or fix the problem ... and somehow I don't seem to care any more. I think it's terrible for the people who live in the affected areas and for the devastation to marine life and to bird life but maybe I can't get engaged on this issue because I think thank goodness it's not happening here in Australia. And that's the extent of my analysis on this topic. :(

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

More
13 years 10 months ago #1928 by SweetNess
Replied by SweetNess on topic The Big Oil Spill in the USA
When they refer to the spill as "an environmental 9/ll" and as "the worst oil spill in American history" from which they'll never fully recover, I can't help but think back to the Exxon Valdez spill. Weren't we not supposed to recover from that one too? Some how the Alaskan coastline did. I'm pretty sure the Gulf will too.

Yes, this is terrible for the animals and the ppl of the Gulf coast but shouldn't they be spending their money trying to find a solution and not holding press conferences or govt inquiries?

*•.¸¸ζẃεε†Йεςς¸¸.•*

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds