Quoroom Forum (15 Dec 2008)

The Quoroom forum is open for business.

We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Mental Illness

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • ConcertForGeorgeNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 2 months ago #580 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Mental Illness was created by ConcertForGeorgeNut
I watched an excellent program on ABC TV last night. Stephen Fry (TV celebrity from England) did a show about living as a manic depressive (bi polar was another term used in the program). Unfortunately, this was the second show. I missed the first.

Did anybody else catch the program ? What did you think of it?

I'm lucky. I can't begin to imagine what is inside the mind of a manic depressive person, but I found the program fascinating just the same. And, Stephen Fry himself said that, given the choice of having or not having his illness, he would choose to have it. I can't remember exactly why he said that, but I thought it was a really interesting comment just the same.

I wish I'd been able to see the first program.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #582 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Mental Illness
I'm sorry, George, I didn't see either episode in the series.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

More
15 years 2 months ago #587 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Mental Illness
Yeah Mental Health is an interesting topic and a booming industry at that...

Nah didnt see the show either...

More
15 years 2 months ago #588 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Mental Illness
I didn't see the program, but have been a manager of a service for people with disabilities, some of whom had mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder. I also have a friend with this illness. It totally distorts their perception of reality and can be an incredibly destructive force in their lives. It actually is scary to watch someone in a manic phase, and even worse when they are in the depressive part of the cycle. People don't necessarily swing from one to the other, and some only experience one extreme of the disorder. The latest research actually suggests that their may be a link with schizophrenia, although that's in the early stages and still to be confirmed.

I really feel for people with this illness.

Mem

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 2 months ago #593 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Mental Illness
I didn't watch the Stephen Fry program for any particular reason, but I do have a sort of connection to this issue, in that a sister-in-law of mine, a mother of four kids, had bi-polar, lived for some years with the condition. Unfortunately, she took her own life a couple of years ago.

Watching the program gave me a bit of an idea of what she, and those around her, might've been dealing with. Stephen Fry discussed the condition with a number of other sufferers on his show - one lady is actually a practicing GP, but had been institutionalised twice in the past with the condition. Another person was actor Richard Dreyfus.

More
15 years 2 months ago #605 by Memsahib
Replied by Memsahib on topic Mental Illness
It's so sad to see what these poor people go through. However, there is hope for most. In addition, there are some incredibly talented people living with mental illness. For example, John Clees, Spike Milligan and a lot more of incredible achievers whose names have totally slipped my poor old mind at the moment.

Today, there is hope. Traditional treatments, including psychotropic medication, have improved their opportunities to have a normal life. There is also hope for the future with genetic therapy, which is in its very early stages but developing rapidly. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

cheers
Mem

More
15 years 2 months ago #616 by stormyfeathers
Replied by stormyfeathers on topic Mental Illness
I watched half of that documentary before falling asleep. I hope the ABC re-air it. I was amazed that Stephen Fry was able to hold down a high profile job & without medication. Mental illness fascinates me, being a sufferer of depression and anxiety attacks.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #1181 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Mental Health - The War Within
I meant to bring this up when it was mentioned in the news about ex service men and the help they get after war

I think its something that should be looked at within a few industries -- the police being one of them as well

The stuff these people see is above and beyond --- and unfortunately -- men arent the type that admit they need help tho its slowly changing we hope

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #1182 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Mental Health - The War Within
Yeah, I started to watch this program, but found I couldn't handle it after a short time. I dunno what the answer is. I guess the "perfect" answer is not to send people off to fight in wars, but, is war always completely unavoidable ? Again, I don't have an answer.

But, if the issue is dealing with the mental damage done to servicemen and women upon their return from active duty, there is no question - we, all of us at home, owe a lifelong debt of gratitude and duty of care to these people.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #1183 by stormyfeathers
Replied by stormyfeathers on topic Mental Illness
I agree. These servicemen should upon their arrival home, be given the appropriate councilling and psychiatric care they need to live a happy funtioning life. They deserve the services of mental health care for what they have put themselves through for their country.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds