Quoroom Forum (15 Dec 2008)

The Quoroom forum is open for business.

We have many talented writers here and we all enjoy getting passionate about some of our pet peeves (eg, Derryn Hinch, reality TV shows, Australians behaving badly, McDonald's food ... anything). Just remember: "what ye shall sow, so shall ye reap" - in other words, be prepared to take lots of criticism! What better title could one give this than ... the Soapbox?

Australian Politics and Politicians

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 4 months ago #1844 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Australian Politics and Politicians
Libs retain their seats in today's by-elections in the seats of Bradfield (NSW) and Higgins (Vic). Sadly for many media outlets, the election of Tony Abbott to the leadership of the federal Libs earlier in the week had no adverse effect on the result in either seat.

Again, probably against the best wishes of many Australian journalists, I'm tipping that the Libs will go on to win the next federal election with Abbott at the helm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #1847 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Australian Politics and Politicians
I would strongly have doubted that the federal seats of Bradfield (previously won by Dr Brendan Nelson with a 26.9% margin) or Higgins (previously won by Peter Costello with a 14.08% margin), possibly two of the safest seats in the country for the Liberal Party, would have changed hands at the by-election. What will be more interesting to learn is whether there was a swing in the voting compared to the 2007 results. And bear in mind that by-elections traditionally go against the government of the day. The Australian Electoral Commission's website doesn't [yet] have any information on voting trends and nor would I expect there to be any information at such an early stage after voting has closed.

I also think that it's too early to tell, at this stage, whether Tony Abbott will make a difference in enticing disaffected Liberal voters back to the party. I don't doubt that Malcolm Turnbull turned-off a lot of voters - more so, I think, because of his "personality" (and you already know my thoughts on pop-culture personality cult-following) - but whether Tony Abbott has the charisma, I don't know, and whether his charisma will attract voters is an entirely different matter altogether. The problem that I have with the current Liberal party is not so much about the quality of the party's leadership (or the lack thereof since the last federal election) but is more about what the Liberal party actually stands for. The biggest hurdle facing the Liberal party is being able to define and sell what it is that it stands for. I have no idea.

If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong". If you say, "You're wrong", how do you know?

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #1848 by Tushy
Replied by Tushy on topic Australian Politics and Politicians
59 Libs to 40 Greens in Higgins

Not bad for the Greens, best I have seen them do, ever

Bob Brown will be a happy vegemite

As for what Abbott stands for, who wants to go back to the Howard Era?

People that forget History, are bound to repeat it
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by Tushy.

More
14 years 4 months ago #1856 by Tushy
Aaah look at that, right on the button

Recycled Rubbish

www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/08/2765342.htm?site=news

They should have got rid of that lot ages ago

Why are 'conservatives' in the Liberals anyways?

More
14 years 4 months ago #1874 by maxxy5851
Replied by maxxy5851 on topic Australian Politics and Politicians
Love this page, Sozzled, full of words, factual, but, try to weed out the relevance of the "War and Peace" posts. His flank, covered by the ever witty Tushy, (funny as a gunshot wound). Both of you prove the fact that the reams of words provided by sozzled and a smart mouth and a quick wit (not that quick really) are nothing more than a smoke screen to cover very poor leadership qualities.

Paul Keating was a master of this!

Heaven forbid we go "back" to the Howard era, you know, that era where while the world was in recssion (and Australia was in debt, seemingly, beyond recovery, thanks to Mr Keating) we were in growth.

We should go go back to the Keating era where we can have a "recession we need to have" while the whole of the rest of the world is in growth. We could also learn the real depths of depression (gotta look forward to that).

You want debate? Then stay with debate! Sozzled! 7 points (maximum) and one short sentence, all visible on the reply screen without scrollling. Noone gives a shit a shit on your "well educated novels".

Tushy, don't waste your breath, you tow a party line without even knowing what it is you are following Baaaa Baaa, you must be due for shearing.

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #1875 by Tushy
LMAO at maxxy - you're making me laugh, specially about Howard.

As for that Barnaby Joyce, he is an absolute dill. What cave did he come from?

Eeeny meany miny mo - I might even go for the Greens looking at the line up :P
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by Tushy.

• ConcertForGeorgeNut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 4 months ago #1879 by ConcertForGeorgeNut
Replied by ConcertForGeorgeNut on topic Australian Politics and Politicians
Looks like the Copenhagen climate change "love-in" has failed. I'm reading this morning that President Obama has urged the making of a deal (even an imperfect one), rather than have things end with nothing of substance to show for two weeks of conferencing.

I can't wait for Kevin Rudd and Penny Wong to arrive back in the country. There gonna have some might explaining to do to the Australian people about the benefit to Australia from its participation in Copenhagen.

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds